Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Cottage Cheese

I ventured into cheese making. Elm really likes cottage cheese, so I thought to show him how much I love him, I'd made him some. He usually likes to eat it on hot summer days, you know when it's just TO HOT to eat anything warm.

Here's the joke -today is the first day we've had in a really long time that’s been gray and rainy, with BEAUTIFUL rumblings coming from the sky.

But I finished my first batch of cottage cheese this morning, and he had some for dinner, with peaches on the side.

It tastes divine. Elm liked it, he did say it was a bit different…. Well yeah, HOMEMADE :o)

I did some searching online for cheese recipes using Junket Rennet tables (as that was all I had on hand, my cheese order from Cheesemaking is in the mail as I type) I found this site Junket Desserts. Scroll down the page and you’ll find this recipe for cottage cheese.

COTTAGE CHEESE - JUNKET

Ingredients:

1/4 Junket Rennet Tablet
1/2 cup water
1 gallon skim milk

1/4 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup cream

1. Dissolve Rennet Tablet in water by crushing. Set aside. In a large saucepan, heat skim milk to 70º F. Stir in buttermilk and Rennet Tablet solution, mixing well. Cover with towel and let stand at room temperature 12 to 18 hours until firm curd forms. To test for a firm curd, remove a milk sample at a point near the edge of the saucepan with a spoon. The curd is read
y to cut when the coagulated milk sample holds its shape and the edges are sharply defined.

2. Cut curd into 1/2-inch long pieces using a long knife. Heat curd slowly over hot water until temperature reaches 110ºF. Hold curd at that temperature for 20 to 30 minutes, stirring at 5-minute intervals to heat curd uniformly. Pour mixture onto the fine cheesecloth in a colander and drain off whey.

3. After whey has drained 2 to 3 minutes, lift curd in cheesecloth and immerse in pan of cold water 1 to 2 minutes, stirring and pressing with a spoon. Then immerse in ice water 1 to 2 minutes. Drain the curd until it is free from whey and place in a large bowl.

Add salt and cream and mix thoroughly. Chill.

I added sea salt and some of our cream (saving it for butter and ice cream)

No comments:

Post a Comment